Aeva’s mission is to bring the next wave of perception to a broad range of applications from automated driving to industrial robotics, consumer electronics, consumer health, security, and beyond. Aeva is transforming autonomy with its groundbreaking sensing and perception technology that integrates all key LiDAR components onto a silicon photonics chip in a compact module. Aeva 4D LiDAR sensors uniquely detect instant velocity in addition to 3D position, allowing autonomous devices like vehicles and robots to make more intelligent and safe decisions.
Aeva is seeking to hire a highly skilled and deeply experienced FMCW Lidar Senior Technology leader to join our growing team! This individual will be responsible for assessing technology pathways for future products, performing due diligence of third-party technologies, and assisting in developing a business strategy for adjacent markets.
What you'll be doing:
- Assess all aspects of the architecture and design of Aeva products including system architecture, integrated photonics modules, silicon development, scanners and macro optical elements, DSP, ME, and EE.
- Provide design recommendations and product improvement ideas.
- Actively participate in all key product design reviews.
- Propose future product architectures concepts for both automotive as well as adjacent markets.
- Consider alternate technology approaches both for current and future products.
- Explore radical architecture and technology shifts for next-generation systems and products.
- Serve as the technical patent assessment advisor.
- TECHNICAL BUSINESS STRATEGY:
- Perform cost-benefit and technical risk assessments for investing in the development of component technologies, e.g. the development and integration of custom lasers, SOAs, detectors, passive photonics, macro optics, and beam steering mechanisms.
- Perform due diligence on third-party technologies for potential acquisition or partnership efforts.
- Develop technical business strategy and explore market capture opportunities.
- Serve as part of the senior leadership team at Aeva and actively contribute to technical and strategic decision-making.
What you have:
- Post-graduate-level education and 10 years+ working experience in optical FMCW devices.
- Deep experience architecting and designing all elements of Lidar systems including both FMCW and ToF systems.
- Deep knowledge of photonics elements and their integration including PICs - different material platforms, types of lasers, types of optical amplifiers, types of detectors, and free-space optics.
- World-class knowledge and experience in Lidar and Optical communications AM, FM, and PM modulation schemes and DSPs.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects at the same time with proven success in meeting deadlines.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of automotive standards.
- Knowledge of perception and tracking algorithms including machine learning techniques.
- Leadership and team management skills.
- Deep knowledge of state-of-the-art telecommunications optical transceivers.
- Significant experience with high precision metrology systems as well as free-space optical communications.
- Knowledge of optical, silicon, electrical, and mechanical manufacturing processes from wafer level to module level FATP.
What's in it for you:
- Be part of an early start-up that's backed by industry-leading venture capitalists
- Very competitive compensation and meaningful stock grants
- Exceptional benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and more
- Unlimited PTO: We care about results, not punching timecard
- Paid lunches, ping pong tournaments, and fun team off-sites