Aeva is building the next generation of sensing and perception for autonomous vehicles and beyond. With its unique ability to measure instantaneous velocity for each pixel, long-range performance at high resolutions, while being free from LiDAR or sunlight interference, Aeva’s 4D LiDAR is built from the ground up at silicon photonics scale for mass-market applications.
Our products are complex, spanning multiple engineering domains. Aeva is looking to bring in an engineer who can traverse these domains in the early stages of design, bringup, and debugging of new hardware and signal processing features. This role requires in-depth knowledge of our entire technology stack, to aid in complex tasks such as electro-optical performance optimization and root cause analysis of sensing artifacts. The person who fills this role will need a broad background spanning optics, electronics, and signal processing to understand these features at the system level and provide support for cross-functional bringup and debugging of features on new and existing products.
The Senior Optical System Engineer is in the Product organization, as part of the New Concepts development group.
What you'll be doing:
- Propose new architectures for next generation and current product improvements
- Designing and executing prototype hardware of next generation LiDAR technology
- Design of experiments to quickly evaluate prototypes and optical, mechanical, electrical, algorithm building-blocks
- Work with cross functional teams during hardware brings ups to ensure product requirements are delivered
- Analyze data and reporting results to inform critical design decisions
What you have:
- M.S. in Physics, Optical Sciences, EE, or equivalent
- 4+ years of hands-on experience with optical or electro-optical components and systems
- Experience and knowledge of bench-top optics equipment and gaussian optics
- Solid knowledge of EE fundamentals
- Solid background and experience scripting and automating testing in Matlab or a similar environment
- A desire to learn, innovate and express ideas in a fast-moving collaborative environment
Nice to have:
- Ph.D. with research experience in physics, optical sciences, or equivalent
- Experience with high-precision (micron, sub-micron) optical alignment equipment
- Experience with precision static and dynamic metrology equipment including OMM, CMM, laser vibrometry, sensofar, etc
- Experience implementing digital signal processing algorithms for metrology application