Aeva is building the next generation of sensing and perception for autonomous vehicles and beyond. With its unique ability to measure instantaneous velocity for each pixel, long-range performance at high resolutions, while being free from LiDAR or sunlight interference, Aeva’s 4D LiDAR is built from the ground up at silicon photonics scale for mass-market applications.
Aeva is seeking to hire a skilled Lidar Characterization & Field Application Engineer to join our growing team! This position involves being part of a team to comprehensively test and characterize Lidar performance across a spectrum of use cases, environmental conditions, and potential aggressors. A successful candidate will also serve in a direct customer facing capacity where he/she will assist customers in configuring and testing Lidar's, as well as performing first level triage (identifying, characterizing, and root-causing) customer identified problems, deficiencies and artifacts. The role also involves interacting and collaborating with Aeva’s Business Development and Sales Teams as well as Aeva’s HW and SW engineering development teams.
What you'll be doing:
- Validate that the Lidar can meet the capability requirements consistent with the customer’s intent.
- Proactively and comprehensively characterize (i.e. test, simulate, and analyses) Aeva Lidar's and Perception algorithms in terms of per point performance, performance vs. Use Cases, environmental interactions, susceptibility to aggressors, impairments, and artifacts.
- Setup and integrate our Lidar products into customer’s testing environment, provide technical service and drive failure analysis together with our engineers.
- Respond to the Customer’s performance concerns, including identifying, replicating, root causing, and resolving first level issues and escalating more significant issues to the appropriate engineering teams.
- Support the engineering team by providing recent customer data, meaningful customer feedback and precise fault descriptions.
- Work closely with the HW and SW development teams to report technical issues, suggest solutions for customer specific requirements and problems.
- Work closely with Sales and Business Development teams by providing pre-sales technical knowledge support in customer meetings and executing technically compelling demonstrations.
What you have:
- BS with 2+ years working experience or a MS in characterization testing, simulation, and analysis of Optical and/or RF sensor systems with a strong attention to detail.
- Background and experience in the development, lab level testing, and the analysis of optical systems.
- Experience working with automated test SW, and a proficiency in Matlab and/or Python.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills, including excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Experience in embedded development environment
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally to support customers onsite
- Background in digital signal processing for Optical or RF systems.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects at the same time with proven success in meeting deadlines.
Nice to have:
- MS and/or PhD in Optics / Photonics or Systems Engineering.
- Knowledge and experience with systems engineering.
- Knowledge of photonics elements and their integration including PICs - different material platforms, types of lasers, types of optical amplifiers, types of detectors, and free-space optics.
- Knowledge and experience with automotive standards and/or reliability and qualification testing.
- Experience with Automotive OEMs, Aerospace Primes, or Industrial Metrology providers
What's in it for you:
- Be part of a start-up that's backed by industry-leading venture capitalists
- Very competitive compensation and meaningful stock grants
- Exceptional benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and more
- Unlimited PTO: We care about results, not punching timecard
- Paid lunches, ping pong tournaments, and fun team off-sites